Living Waters Phuket Foundation – Building Brighter Futures
The spread of the Omicron Covid-19 variant across Thailand is continuing to have a detrimental effect on the communities, with many facing quarantine and community isolation. Living Waters Phuket continued to pack and distribute even more Life Bags with a far greater frequency than before, to meet the increased demand.
The funding of these critical Life Bags as part of Living Waters Phuket’s emergency and immediate food relief is the top focus and priority right now. There are currently in excess of 19,000 community members in some form of Covid-19 quarantine.
To donate and help those in desperate need of food and basic supplies please click here: Weeboon
Networking With Community Leaders:
The Foundation met with the following notable community leaders to discuss the immediate food relief demand as well as future project requirements:
- A meeting took place with the Phuket Governor regarding rising cases and how to distribute food relief
- The Foundation met with the Thalang District Chief to discuss a Covid care centre and food relief
- Living Waters Phuket also met with the Bangtao Mayor, the Thepkrasittri Mayor and the Phuket Red Cross President to discuss a Covid care center and food relief needs
- Further meeting took place to discuss projects around further distribution of wheelchairs and clean drinking water projects
- Numerous discussions were held on future large-scale projects, community needs and food security demands with the President of the Red Cross Phuket, the Mayor of Patong, the LDS and charity leaders.
Food Security Update:
Life Bag Packing / Distribution Update
- The number and frequency of Life Bags packed in the last week has increased to meet the needs of a worsening situation and requests for support from community leaders
- We have now restarted life bag packing on a Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday at the 5 Star Marine office in Boat Lagoon, starting at 1.00 pm
- Community members are invited to the Thursday pack if they are fully vaccinated and have not had high or low-risk contact with a Covid positive case
- These bags provide staple household items including oil, rice, noodles, sauces, tinned fish, washing powder, soap, etc. for a family of up to 4 people for around 5 days
Press releases have been published to highlight the deteriorating tourism situation plus the rising number of cases across Phuket and the surrounding islands, which has sparked a demand for immediate and increased community support. Read more here:
As of the 14th January 2022, The Weeboon campaign for Life Bag Food Supply has raised 185,350 THB. Please continue to donate to our causes and help those in need at this critical time; with the high season forced to end prematurely, the drastic decline in tourism and the spread of the new variant we need to support the community in this deteriorating situation. Please follow the link to donate, any amount is appreciated: Weeboon
Approved Projects in Progress:
- Wheelchair Assistance Initiative
This project saw funding for Administration purposes from our Foundation with purchase funding from The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints to purchase 1,800 wheelchairs for The Red Cross Phuket for use in hospitals, clinics and vaccination centers across Thailand to assist those with mobility issues. This project is in process and the wheelchairs are being distributed and tracked.
- Education Assistance
The Board has awarded funding and the project to help with educational opportunities for HIV-positive Thai Children at the Life Home Project is underway. We look forward to updating you next week.
- Disadvantaged Students Project
The Foundation has provided joint funding with The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints for Phuket Has Been Good To Us and this project is now in progress to allow 500 disadvantaged students access to a new computer lab.
- Under Privileged Children
The provision of portable water for 300 students at the Coconut Island School, as well as critical equipment for the school’s kitchen including a fridge, freezer, and fans, are approved and in progress. This is a joint project with The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints.
Sustainable Farming and Food Production – Phase 2
The Kathu Wittaya School’s phase 2 funded project is now complete. This was around sustainable education for farming and food production and the provision of buildings to help store and sell the food from the funded phase 1 project.
The Good Shepherd
The project for The Good Shepherd for Solar Panel Installation for the Good Shepherd Phuket Town (GSPT) Learning Centre is now completed.
Phuket Has Been Good To Us
Living Waters Phuket Foundation completed this project to fund and provide brand new IT equipment for over 500 disadvantaged children for the school. This project helped teachers, volunteers, and administrators to be able to deliver their English classes more effectively and efficiently.
Kathu Wittya School
The Sustainable Education on Farming and Food Production (phase 1) is complete. This long-term initiative was designed around teaching almost 1,000 children how to farmland using proven Thai techniques and processes in order to produce and harvest food.
Super Life Bags
This completed project was the largest single order of life bag supplies in the last 22 months and saw over 8,700 large bags packed and delivered to Phuket and the surrounding areas in November 2021, helped by Government officials and 5 Star Marine.
We have reached the middle of January with the continuation of a truly challenging situation; brought about by the rapidly spreading Covid-19 variant, vast community quarantines, and the decline in tourism numbers in part because of the postponement of the Test and Go scheme and entry requirements.
Throughout this, Living Waters Phuket remains 100% devoted to helping the most vulnerable communities and continues to support our communities by focusing, right now, on providing assistance with emergency and immediate food relief.
Please contact us for more information.
+66 99 341 6799 | [email protected] com
Donate to help us build brighter futures: Weeboon