Living Waters Phuket Foundation – Building Brighter Futures
This week was focused on the structuring of foundation plans for two large scale projects:
1. In an effort to address the increasing and ongoing demand for life bags, LWP reached out to local hoteliers via the Phuket Hotels Association to plan a joint, large-scale food supply project.
This will enable resources to reach more people in need, as well as serve to highlight the ongoing urgent requirement for life bags. The aim is to re-engage the local community and raise awareness of the current desperate situation.
2. LWP is working on a joint project with the Phuket Red Cross, funded by The Church of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints. This is to provide nearly 2,000 wheelchairs to those in Thailand with mobility Issues. This large-scale project will take place over several months to reach completion.
Just 140 THB can feed a family of 4 people for up to 4 days, so please donate now to help: Weeboon
Networking in the Community:
The Foundation held numerous meetings this week to discuss the immediate food relief crisis as well as other essential project requirements:
- LDS Charities meetings on wheelchairs, Coconut Island needs and PHBGTU
- Utah Wheelchair Foundation meeting regarding wheelchairs
- Red Cross meeting to discuss wheelchairs
- Phuket Hotels Association meetings on the joint local communities Life Bags initiative
- Cherngtalay OrBorTor meeting to understand deeper Life Bag needs
- Sakhu meeting around food relief and Life Bags
- LWP met with several volunteers around various projects
Food Security Update:
Life Bag Packing / Distribution Update
- 2,500 life bags were packed and distributed in the last 7 days
- The focus on Life Bags continues to be around Covid-19 isolation village cases
A half-page advert graphic will appear in the Phuket News calling for donations amidst the current critical situation; and will be published in the Friday 28th January edition.
We are pleased to announce that the Weeboon campaign for Life Bag Food Supply has raised a total of 350,000 THB (as of 28th January 2022).
In addition, donations totaling over 90,000 THB, have been made direct to LWP in the past week bringing the direct donations total to 238,908 THB.
Please donate to help those in need at this critical time; any amount is appreciated: Weeboon
Approved Projects in Progress:
1. Wheelchair Assistance Initiative
This project saw funding from our Foundation to purchase 1,800 wheelchairs for The Red Cross Phuket for use in hospitals, clinics, and vaccination centers across Thailand to assist those with mobility issues. This project is in progress and there are ongoing discussions on the provision of these wheelchairs.
2. Education Assistance
Funding has been paid, and the project to help with educational opportunities for HIV-positive Thai Children at the Life Home Project is underway. The first progress report is due in early February 2022.
1. Disadvantaged Students Project
The Foundation has provided funding for Phuket Has Been Good To Us to allow 500 disadvantaged students access to a new computer lab. This project is now completed.
2. Under Privileged Children
The provision of portable water for 300 students at the Coconut Island School, as well as critical equipment for the school’s kitchen including a fridge, freezer, and fans, is completed. The acquittal report is currently being prepared.
3. The Good Shepherd
The project for The Good Shepherd for Solar Panel Installation for the Good Shepherd Phuket Town (GSPT) Learning Centre is now completed.
4. Sustainable Farming and Food Production – Phase 2
The Kathu Wittaya School’s phase 2 funded project is now complete. This was around sustainable education for farming and food production and the provision of buildings to help store and sell the food from the funded phase 1 project.
5. Tambon Phunai Koh Yao Yai Orphan Education Funding
The Foundation funded the purchase of school supplies for parentless children from this Orphanage in January 2022. LWP donated funds for school supplies and this directly allowed the children to return to school to get the chance to continue gaining an education. Funding will cover 1 full year of schooling needs for around 35 children.
6. Kathu Wittya School
The Sustainable Education on Farming and Food Production (phase 1) is complete. This long-term initiative was designed around teaching almost 1,000 children how to farmland using proven Thai techniques and processes in order to produce and harvest food.
7. Phuket Has Been Good To Us
Living Waters Phuket Foundation completed this project to fund and provide brand new IT equipment for over 500 disadvantaged children for the school. This project helped teachers, volunteers, and administrators to be able to deliver their English classes more effectively and efficiently.
8. Super Life Bags
This completed project was the largest single order of life bag supplies in the last 22 months and saw over 8,700 large bags packed and delivered to Phuket and the surrounding areas in November 2021, helped by Government officials and 5 Star Marine.
With February just around the corner, the challenging situation continues and Living Waters Phuket continues to strategically plan to address the increasing needs in and around Phuket; including engaging with the hoteliers on the island and a number of Foundations and Associations to see where help is needed most.
LWP remains 100% devoted to helping the most vulnerable communities.
Please contact us for more information.
+66 99 341 6799 | [email protected]. com
Donate to help us build brighter futures: Weeboon