Living Waters Phuket Foundation – Building Brighter Futures
The demand for Life Bags is still increasing, with 2,500 packed and distributed last week alone, between 5 communities.
As another week ends, Living Waters Phuket continued to concentrate on emergency food relief with more Life Bags delivered at a far greater frequency than before; vs focussing on funding new projects for the time being. This has been essential to meet the increased demand as communities continued to be quarantined due to the spread of Covid-19.
The demand remains greater than our ability to supply at this time so please donate to help those in desperate need of food and basic supplies: Weeboon
Networking With Community Leaders:
The Foundation met with the following notable community leaders to discuss the immediate food relief crisis as well as some future project requirements:
- The Phuket Hotels Association were met to discuss their potential involvement in a community isolation Life Bag project
- LWP held a meeting to discuss the Wheel Chair Project, Coconut Island project, and a potential future project in Koh Samui
- Discussions were held with LDS Charities leaders to discuss the two foundations working together in the future
- A meeting took place with 2 Senior Missionaries from Bangkok, who also helped with Life Bags packing
- LWP met with the Thalang District Chief
Food Security Update:
Life Bag Packing / Distribution Update
- The number and frequency of Life Bags packed in the last week has increased to meet the needs of a worsening situation and requests for support from community leaders
- 2,500 life bags were packed and distributed in the last 7 days
- They were packed and distributed across 3 days to Chalong, Patong, Bangtao, Cherngtalay, and Ban Don.
The focus on Life Bags at the moment is on Covid-19 isolation cases with most of the distribution going to village leaders and then health officials actually delivering into the villages.
A half-page advert graphic has been designed and approved to run in the Phuket News; this will call for donations amidst the current situation with rising cases and community quarantines. It will be published in the Friday 28th January edition.
We are pleased to announce that the Weeboon campaign for Life Bag Food Supply has raised a further 137,457 THB in the last week. This brings the total as of 21st January 2022 to 322,807 THB.
Please continue to donate to help those in need at this critical time; any amount is appreciated: Weeboon
Approved Projects in Progress:
- Wheelchair Assistance Initiative
This project saw funding for Administration purposes from our Foundation with purchase funding from The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints to purchase 1,800 wheelchairs for The Red Cross Phuket for use in hospitals, clinics, and vaccination centers across Thailand to assist those with mobility issues. This project is in process and the wheelchairs are being distributed and tracked.
- Education Assistance
Funding has been paid, and the project to help with educational opportunities for HIV-positive Thai Children at the Life Home Project is underway. The first progress report is due in early February 2022.
- Disadvantaged Students Project
The Foundation has provided funding for Phuket Has Been Good To Us to allow 500 disadvantaged students access to a new computer lab. This project is progressing well and is nearing completion.
- Under Privileged Children
- The provision of portable water for 300 students at the Coconut Island School, as well as critical equipment for the school’s kitchen including a fridge, freezer, and fans, is completed. The acquittal report is currently being prepared. This project was completed with support from The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints.
- The Good Shepherd
- The project for The Good Shepherd for Solar Panel Installation for the Good Shepherd Phuket Town (GSPT) Learning Centre is now completed.
- Sustainable Farming and Food Production – Phase 2
- The Kathu Wittaya School’s phase 2 funded project is now complete. This was around sustainable education for farming and food production and the provision of buildings to help store and sell the food from the funded phase 1 project.
- Tambon Phunai Koh Yao Yai Orphan Education Funding
- The Foundation funded the purchase of school supplies for parentless children from this Orphanage in January 2022. LWP donated funds for school supplies and this directly allowed the children to return to school to get the change to continue gaining an education. Funding will cover 1 full year of schooling needs for around 35 children.
- Kathu Wittya School
- The Sustainable Education on Farming and Food Production (phase 1) is complete. This long-term initiative was designed around teaching almost 1,000 children how to farm land using proven Thai techniques and processes in order to produce and harvest food.
- Phuket Has Been Good To Us
- Living Waters Phuket Foundation completed this project to fund and provide brand new IT equipment for over 500 disadvantaged children for the school. This project helped teachers, volunteers and administrators to be able to deliver their English classes more effectively and efficiently. This project was completed with support from The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints.
- Super Life Bags
- This completed project was the largest single order of life bag supplies in the last 22 months and saw over 8,700 large bags packed and delivered to Phuket and the surrounding areas in November 2021, helped by Government officials and 5 Star Marine. This project was completed with support from The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints.
Now heading towards the end of January we are seeing a knock on effect of a truly challenging situation brought about by the rapidly spreading Covid-19 variant, vast community quarantines plus declining in tourism numbers. Living Waters Phuket remains 100% devoted to helping the most vulnerable communities and continues to help right now, on providing assistance with emergency and immediate food relief primarily.
Please contact us for more information.
+66 99 341 6799 | more@livingwatersphuket. com
Donate to help us build brighter futures: Weeboon